• Rail Systems Planning and Design
• Railroad operations
• Infrastructure impact assessment studies
• Overhead catenary systems and third rail traction
• Rolling Stock
• Traction power substations & distribution systems
• Maintenance and Storage Facilities
• Signaling Design
• Communication / Security Systems, CCTV
• Public Access System
• Light and Heavy Rail Track
Our extensive resources and experience across all modes offers our customers the opportunity to integrate their individual operation, program, or initiative into an overall system. Community needs vary and our extensive rail experience provides solid alternatives to highway expansion and commuter or tourism traffic solutions, as well as distance travel options for major corridors. Our expertise includes a full range of services in:
- Urban Rail Transit (including light rail transit)
- High Speed Rail
- Intercity Passenger and Commuter Rail Studies
- Rail Traffic Controller Simulator
- Freight Rail Planning
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Highway-Rail Crossing Analysis
- International Rail Studies
DRM provides complete engineering services for all types of railway facilities. These services include route location and preliminary engineering through preparation of final design plans, specifications, and other contract documents. Our experience includes engineering designs for new rail facilities, railway bridges, intermodal facilities, and bulk transfer terminals. In addition, we offer complete design services for rail rehabilitation programs and rail relocations. Other rail design services include the design of simple and complex railway bridges and construction engineering inspection services, including special training certifications for on-track safety contractors.
Our Catenary Department has broad experience in studies, design, testing, commissioning, and inspections. Our staff has extensive experience in:
- Heavy rail 12kv and 25kv, 60 Hertz, and 25 Hertz compound and simple catenary systems
- Light Rail 650v DC simple and tramway catenary systems
- Commuter heavy rail 1500v DC compound, simple and tramway catenary systems
- AC and DC system electrification feasibility studies using a database of construction costs for material, equipment and labor. Knowledge of labor man-hours required to perform the various work tasks, along with standard material type and size used for a particular type of project, provides an accurate level of estimated cost.
- Power transmission systems, steel structure and wood pole line design
- Overhead bridge electrification modifications and bridge bonding & grounding
- Construction inspection and management
- Other studies include clearance impacts, staging, constructibility review, and value engineering.
In addition, we offer complete design services for rail rehabilitation programs and rail construction engineering inspection services, including special training certifications for on-track safety contractors. From feasibility studies and in-service inspections to new and rehabilitative design, contract documengle-span bridges to complex big Clients’ projects benefit from state-of-the-art bridge analysis and inspection techniques; for example, in the early 1980s WSA engineers used non-linear static analysis in bridge seismic designs, a forerunner to today’s industry standards. The firm pioneered the design of embedded integral post-tensioned caps in structural steel bridges in the United States, and developed the FHWA inspection manual for fracture-critical bridge members and provided instruction on its use for more than 10 years. WSA was one of the first to use rock-climbing techniques in the inspection of tall bridges, as well. Clients also benefit from the firm’s bridge research for FHWA and the National Academy of Sciences.